- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice *I used instant brown rice.
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb Organic Turkey Sausage, sliced approximately 1/2 inch rounds *In place of Turkey Sausage I used Chicken — I could not find organic turkey sausage or even the all-natural brand that was mentioned in the original recipe so I opted for chicken instead.
- 3 cans of red beans, rinsed (you may substitute dried beans that are pre-soaked overnight)
- 1 1/2 c Organic, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth *In place of Chicken Broth I had Beef Broth already in the pantry so I used that instead.
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper *In place of cayenne pepper I added cumin.
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Bring 3 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice to boil in a pot over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, place a lid on pot and let cook for approximately 45 minutes. I used minute brown rice and so avoided the extra 40 minutes of cook time. Important when you are responsible for feeding hungry ravages. 😉
2. In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is warm, add onion, garlic and organic turkey sausage/chicken. Saute until onions brown and become clear.
3. In saute pan, add red beans, organic low-sodium chicken broth, cayenne pepper, chili powder, black pepper and sea salt. Stir together. Cook on medium for 30-45 minutes.
Serve bean/sausage combo over the brown rice. Easy and oh so good!! (Don’t take my word for it! This girl ate more than I did.)
Let me know if you give a try!!